Re: [LUG] Advertising (or lack of)

Neil Williams wrote:

> Ads on the web are easily ignored and removed.

A quick Google for "linux PC" shows that HP, & DELL amongst others are
advertising.

The point about these ads is unless someone clicks them there is no pay
out, so why would they care that some folk ignore them.

I agree with the comment that you need something clearly different and
good to advertise before you go for expensive traditional media
advertising. You see GNU/Linux and Linux devices advertised, but there
is no contractual obligation to say "Linux Inside" or "Tivo recommend
kernels by Linus", that some vendors are obliged to do to get the
discounts they do.

I'd have thought ASUS eee would be big enough mass market device to
advertise on TV, but they sold out through word of mouth, which is both
more effective, and a lot cheaper than TV advertising.

I suspect the mainstream GNU/Linux desktop/server market is a difficult
one at the moment, because the purchasers are so use to doing their own
support etc, that they don't buy premium services (except possibly
hardware fix in the server market - and even then it is often cheaper to
have a hot standby).