Re: [LUG] Advertising (or lack of)

I think as far as free software is concerned, we are all the marketing
department,  One of the advantages with install days is you can talk to
fellow enthusiasts,  and see that we are normal people, of all ages,
who share a common interest,   Plus we are willing to give up a day and
install Linux on your computer,  either free or at a cost that is
designed to cover the venue hire.

There are not many shops out there that would do that, for you,  they
charge at least £25 to install windows, and if you need a new
motherboard, the costs are added, as you need a new version of windows,
new hardware,  it all configured, etc etc.

Plus at any Lug or similar event we can freely give things away,  e.g
the opendisc,  ok it runs on Windows but does show what you get with
Linux and that this software is well written,  and supported,   people
try it on their windows box, then perhaps ask what Linux is,  at which
point you can boot up a live cd, show them how to use it,  they take
that away have a look and perhaps come back and ask you to install it.
All of this costs very little to actually do, apart from time which is a
precious commodiity,  the fact as a community we are happy to give up
that time to help others, is something people can't argue at it being a
"good thing".

Plus the tux logo is free,  you can create mini stickers, and badges for
kids especially,  give to any children on the day,  it may not turn them
into Linux users overnight, but they see the tux penguin,  and it may
stick, I think kids like stickers,  but it does get tux out there so it
becomes just as recogniseable as the windows logo,  what is needed is
for people to make the same connection,  tux is to linux what the
Windows logo is to Microsoft / windows.   do that and things may start
to change.

if people start seeing tux / gnu linux written down all over the place,
stickers, badges, t-shirts,  people start asking what it is,  it almost
sticks as it becomes annoying as that answer to a question on the tip of
your toungue. you have to ask what is tux,  what is GNU Linux, get that
far and you have someones attention,  and perhaps another potential user.

Paul