[LUG] atheros on ubuntu/mint

Tony Sumner wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2008, Ray Smith was like:
>
>> Is madwifi a program I would need to install & use instead of the ubuntu
>> networking tools or a driver wrapper like ndis ?
>
> See also the reply from Grant Sewell. I don't remember too well what I
> did but if you go to the Madwifi site http://madwifi.org you'll find a
> download section and howtos and everything you need. The networking
> tools like iwconfig are still useful. ndiswrapper is a quite different
> way of using a wireless adapter; you install ndiswrapper and then the
> Windows driver off the Windows disk if you have one. The device
> manager will tell you the name of the driver. This should be a
> reliable way of getting any adapter to work but I have never tried
> it. I am sure someone has and can give you some tips. Good luck.
>
> Tony

this howto isn't about your atheros chip, which is probably supported by
madwifi, have a google on "ubuntu atheros", but it has a very clear
explanation on setting up wifi which applies to any device once the
driver has been compiled.

The eeePC madwifi atheros driver is a version specific to the eeePC, but
if its consistent the device will be called ath0, rather than the more
usual wlan0, enter "iwconfig" to find out.

once you got up and running you can use the ubuntu network tools to
tweak it, bring it up down etc.
--
Simon Robert
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk