Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools/Colleges/Unis - was: Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:11:48 +0000
Paul Sutton wrote:

> >> One thing Becta was concerned about (see earlier post) was the
> >> licensing model(s) offered with M$ stuff. You actually have to pay
> >> M$ licenses for other (non M$) machines on the network. So giving
> >> them a box configured with Linux get M$ money!!!
> >> Great 'work' if you can get it!
> >> Tom te tom te tom
> >>

> Given mac hardware can now run Windows,  if a school bought macs and
> OSX,  how do they stand with MS licencing, surely Microsoft won't
> expect em to buy windows licences, for macs.  (well office I can
> understand) It would not surprise me,
>

> Paul

I would hope that since you can't install Windows "natively" that you
would not come under this problem if you had Macs.

(It is my belief, although I could be wrong on this, that you still
need Mac's bootloader thingy since plain WinXP and WinVista don't work
on EFI based x86 machines despite Microsoft having developed and
released Win2000 for EFI based Itaniums.)

Let us hope this is the case. :)

Grant.