Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools/Colleges/Unis - was: Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

On Thursday 17 January 2008 18:10, Rob Beard wrote:
> John Horne wrote:
> >
> > Probably not. If there is an agreement in place, then it (usually) means
> > that the supplier will remove the machines after a certain time. We have
> > an agreement in place at the moment at our site, and are being supplied
> > with around 5,000 PC's/laptops. After 3 years, I think, they will be
> > removed and replaced with something else. The point is that we don't
> > have to worry about their disposal. In removing old stuff from our site
> > previously we have had to pay people to come in and take it away. As
> > such we wouldn't want anyone giving us old equipment again :-)
> >

> > John.
>
> That's fair enough I suppose, especially with getting rid of machines
> becoming so expensive.
If they're still working?
I've got a lot of old (10y+) hardware that still works. Linux on it is fine.
You only need to upgrade every 3 years if your running the latest and greatest
version of m$.
I've got a several year old 800mHz pIII running Kubuntu that knocks my mates
3GHz+ laptop running Vista into the ground.
Useful test for a computer:
Boot up, create one page document and mail it to someone. Turn machine off
The above machines Kubuntu <2m. Vista dont know got bored and left after
10minutes. XP on slightly less specced machine about 8 minutes.
Tom te tom te tom