Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools/Colleges/Unis - was: Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 16:51 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > Oh, we have some "old" machines for them to work on.  Most of them have
> > some severe problems - I've even had one which had a knackered VGA BIOS
> > on the onboard display adaptor, only 2 PCI slots, both of which were
> > needed.  Hmm.  Oh, and the College seem to have an agreement with Dell
> > now, so we don't have "old machines" anymore. :(
> >

> Would the college allow you to take donations of old machines from LUG
> members?

Probably not. If there is an agreement in place, then it (usually) means
that the supplier will remove the machines after a certain time. We have
an agreement in place at the moment at our site, and are being supplied
with around 5,000 PC's/laptops. After 3 years, I think, they will be
removed and replaced with something else. The point is that we don't
have to worry about their disposal. In removing old stuff from our site
previously we have had to pay people to come in and take it away. As
such we wouldn't want anyone giving us old equipment again :-)

John.