Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

John Hansen wrote:
> It does not help that schools use Windows exclusively or so our daughter
> who teaches tells me. This means that the school environment is not
> conducive to Linux. Our elder granddaughter at Uni tells me the same
> thing. She is obliged to use Windows for assignments. I suspect that
> Open Office would work just as well if one could get the students to try
>   it and Linux.

I have difficulty trying to get away from the big M at university, for
example I got told for one of my assignments I had to call my ER diagram
"er.doc".

Schools are just as bad, at least the ones I have been to. I worked as
an ICT technician in my secondary school, I don't understand why they
keep doing it. Trying to maintain several clusters of 32 windows
computers is torturous at best, doesn't help when they get repeatedly
abused. I think you can imagine how well Windows handles getting 3 or 4
improper restarts per day. Oddly enough our installation server for a
period was a Linux machine and just before I left we were investigating
deploying Linux based local HTTP caches. Weirdly all four of the other
guys that worked like me as a student run Linux in some capacity.

Based on my experience it is currently limited to the enthusiasts and
people that have seen the alternatives and had help in making the change
or decided for them selves.