Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 01:48:11PM +0000, Tony Sumner wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008, stinga was like:
>
> > More sweeping generalisations...
>
> Great stuff, stinga.
>
> More on FLOSS for females ... This morning I was helping Pat to write
> a document in OOo. I showed her how to change to B6 (format -> page ->
> page -> B6) then she typed the stuff and I showed her how to save it
> (file -> save as) and just to make sure I clicked on open to recover
> it and guess what I couldn't get it back. I tried everything and all I
> got was 'Untitled' and a blank page. The file is there in the
> directory so why can't I open it? I can save and recover my documents
> but not hers. When g-daughter says 'it's much easier in MS Office' I
> am inclined to agree. Ok I could export the doc in PDF and save it
> that way but is this the way to persuade Pat that FLOSS is the way to
> go?
>
> Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
> [aka Tony]

No idea about the more complicated things but try the silly things (all of which I
have suffered)

- How was it saved ie was it saved as an open office file called test.doc?
- What directory was it saved in? (try the command line and ls the directory) If it
was saved as a doc file then try opening it with eg antiword, or "$oowriter
test.doc", You might want to rename the file first
- oOo has a reopened last file feature in the File directory

Good luck

--
Henry
Thu Jan 17 14:36:50 GMT 2008