Re: [LUG] PCLinuxOS Was: Some small linux's briefly reviewed

David Bell wrote:

>>> -----------
>>> A GNU/Linux user
>> I've just installed PCLOS 2008 on an 850MHz AMD, 375Mb RAM, 17 Gb hard
>> drive that I'm giving to a friend  and it runs very well.  But it doesn't
>> have Kmail or Kontact on it's repositories which may be because of the
>> instability mentioned.  Thunderbird seems OK so I think I'll leave it for
>> now.
>>
>> George
>
> I did a live install, set up the network, reloaded the repository in Symantic,
> did a "Find"and KMail/Kontact are available.

looking at the pclos sites 2008 isn't a full distro, it's a cut down
version of 2007, so its no big deal that kontact/kmail isn't installed.
Both are pretty bug apps I think. PCLOS 2007 is still the one if one
wants a full scale desktop distro. I hope that the appearence of minime
2008 means that a full scale 2008 release is on the way.

PCLOS isn't the only distro thinking along the right lines, but it is
one of the few distros that are easy to install, have excellent hardware
support, look good (this matters) and have a good choice of installed
software.

It is the same reasons that have made ubuntu the most popular linux
distro. PCLOS doesn't have anything close to the resources of ubuntu,
but comes very close to being its KDE equivilent (in terms of design
ideology.

I quite like ubuntu on something like my laptop, used for non critical
stuff, so I'll put up with it not detecting and installing wifi as I'm
OK on adapting a script or two. When it comes to my major desktop PCs,
if a distro doesn't detect and install hardware as well as PCLOS I don't
bother with it. Mepis is close, as is Mandriva, neither have the
intelligent design of PCLOS though.

Rant over
    Simon
--