Re: [LUG] Backup strategy

Richard Brown wrote:

> So basically, I need a backup solution that will work in tandem with
> the Terastation and be backing up constantly throughout the day. The
> owner of the business wants to be taking the backup home daily. He
> also needs to restore files quickly - so access from a windows box
> (that's all they have got).

I'm using BackupPC with good success.

Free. Mature. Well used and tested.

If the Buffalo can be mounted on a linux filesystem (almost certainly)
then it'll use it okay.

It does full and incremental backups of linux and windows machines to
any length and combination you like. (I use rsyncd running on client
winboxes - details with the download link)

It allows users to have a pretty web interface giving them status,
history, and the ability to restore any file from any backup.

It'll also compress on the fly, although I found this to be very cpu
intensive on both client and server.

Very configurable about dirs to include/exclude etc.

What's especially funky about backuppc is the pooling feature where it
doesn't copy files it already has - so twenty windows PC's that are have
  almost the same configuration will use very little space, once the
first is backed up subsequent ones will only backup files the first
doesn't have (configs, docs/settings etc) Amongst the 7 winboxes I'm
doing complete backups of, they're only using 57gb in total.

Downside: If backing up a LOT of files using rsync, the clientside
"gathering info" takes a fair time to complete. But if you have areas
for frequent backups, you can have multiple configs per client.

--
Simon Avery