Re: [LUG] Dual DHCP/DNS

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 01:55 +0000, Simon Williams wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I've made a mess of my DNS now (well, it's been a mess for a while, but
> I've now discovered the problems it's been causing).
>
> Here's the situation:
> Speedtouch ADSL router, providing DHCP and DNS server.
> My server- also had a DHCP and DNS server, but I've had to switch the
> DHCP off because it was seemingly random which DHCP server any computer
> would get a lease from.
>
> I can't turn off the DHCP and DNS server on the router, because at any
> given point in time I might break my server, and the rest of my family
> needs internet access.
>
> This is fine, except that the DNS server on the router is a bit broken
> and postfix doesn't like it. So my server has to use it's own DNS. Which
> leads to a problem. The hostnames which get added dynamically by the
> router do not show up on the server.
>
> This leaves a few possible solutions:
> 1. Somehow convince the router to update the server's DNS with dynamic
> leases (I don't think this is possible).
> 2. Turn on both the server's and the router's DHCP servers, but make the
> servers DHCP override the router's if it's available.
> 3. Tell the server to use the router's DNS, but for local queries only.
>
> Anyone know how to do any of the above, or even if they are possible?
> Thanks.
> Simon

4. Edit the info pushed by the router's DHCP service so that DHCP
clients are told to use your server for their primary DNS.  Add into
your server's DNS settings a forwarder (or whatever they're called) that
points to your router.  This way (I think) host machines will go to your
server to resolve first, and if your server cannot resolve the query it
pushes it out to your router to deal with it.

Please bear in mind that I have no idea how to implement this as I only
really have an understanding on DNS on the theory level... but I am
learning.

Cheers.
Grant.