Re: [LUG] Backup strategy

Hi All

On 06/01/2008, Adrian Midgley <amidgley2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The backup constantly fails and all I
> > can find is the length of time it takes to back the files up.
> >
> > The reason it takes so long is the files are huge. We're talking cad
> > plans of over 25mb and about 6 workers creating these plans maybe once
> > a day.
>
> I don't regard that as huge.  My camera produces 10MByte raw images, and
> if anything remotely interesting goes in front of me there can be quite
> a lot of them.  The gimp .xcf images that occasionally result are much
> bigger.
>
> Work has a large number of big database files, and rsync handles those
> nicely.

As ever I was somewhat negligent in giving all the needed data. The
backup is being done by usb and it basically needs to start and finish
towards the end of the day! So I have a proposal:
What I think I can do is build a Linux box with two hard drives in -
both 250gig in size. The first drive is fixed - the second is in a
drive caddy. The idea would be to set up rsync to continually backup
to the fix drive which then mirrors itself to the second drive. The
second drive could then be removed at the end of the day. Could it be
removed 'hot' or would the system need to be powered down please? Next
day when it is plugged in would it automatically sync again please?

Thanks.
--
Kind regards
Rich