Re: [LUG] Wireless frustration

Okay, many thanks for the reply :-)
I've set up a new ad-hoc network on the XP box, "false-hackerz" - I get
the following: (nb kernel is home brew - I seem to be stuck for wireless
tools supporting v22 of Wireless extension though - I might have to
build from source)
alexis@pussycat:~$ sudo iwlist scanning
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 22
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 20.
Some things may be broken...

eth1      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:14:7F:D9:4C:77
                    ESSID:"SpeedTouch5CEE2B" <-- this must be one of the
neighbours
                    Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
                    Mode:Master
                    Channel:1
                    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
                              11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36
Mb/s
                              48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                    Quality=89/100  Signal level=-69 dBm  Noise
level=-66 dBm
                    IE: WPA Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                    Extra: Last beacon: 384ms ago
          Cell 02 - Address: 5E:15:5E:15:10:5C
                    ESSID:"false-hackerz" <----------the XP laptop
                    Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
                    Mode:Ad-Hoc
                    Channel:1
                    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
                    Quality=98/100  Signal level=-44 dBm  Noise
level=-66 dBm
                    Extra: Last beacon: 391ms ago

from iwconfig I get:
alexis@pussycat:~$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 22
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 20.
Some things may be broken...

eth1      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"none"  Nickname:"Broadcom 4311"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.472 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
          Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=18 dBm
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Link Quality=0/100  Signal level=-256 dBm  Noise level=-256
dBm

I've tried running wpa_supplicant with an un-modified copy of its
template config file - it makes a difference to the gui "Wireless
Assistant" which can then see the speedtouch next door, but doesn't seem
to affect the cli tools.  So now I am stumped - I don't know what it is
I'm missing because I don't really know what I'm looking for.