Re: [LUG] Wireless frustration

whats the output from iwconfig? or iwscan is the windoze machine running as an access point?

have you used where eth0 is your wirless card name?
 iwconfig eth0 ap any

Alexis wrote:
Happy New Year to all :-)

I wonder if anyone in the group can further my understanding, or
help solve this problem, or something like that.

I've been trying to set up an ad-hoc wireless network with my wife's
laptop and my own, just for the sake of actually being able to do it
really.  I managed after a great deal of messing about to do it in
windows (hers has XP mine has Vista (which is vile evil demon spawn btw
phut! phut!)).

I've got my (Broadcom) wireless card working natively in Ubuntu where it
can detect other networks, but I haven't figured out how to make it
visible yet.  It's not fully supported but I'm guessing if it can
receive it can also transmit (plus there are other reports of success).
So the root of the problem is how to get it so it is visible to the XP
machine.  I can use iwconfig to set the mode and and essid, and iwlist
scanning to detect other networks, but got no further than this.

Basically I'll be happy if I can get the XP machine to see this one now
and can set up any other stuff from there, but beyond putting the card
in ad-hoc mode and providing an essid I'm really stumped.  We use wired
ethernet for internet and file sharing so don't have a wireless access
point to test against. So, help please!

Many thanks in advance,
Alexis

--