Re: [LUG] NHS Healthspace - Firefox users need not apply

Dave Berkeley wrote:
> They detect the browser by reading the user agent string. If you change this
> the site will not know that you are using an incompatible browser. That
> doesn't mean that the web site will necessarily work. It just means that they
> don't know it won't work.

I hate people who do that. Natwest do it with their online banking. I
have CVS version of firefox so they don't recognise it and don't let me
through. They don't recognise konqueror either. I have to use konquerors
fake user agent string on it. It works fine then. I rang them and asked
them to add a link to "continue at your own risk" to their "your browser
is not supported" page, but they haven't done it. Dealing with user
agent strings feels so archaic- like the IE vs Netscape days.