Re: [LUG] Asus eee pc 701 - Review

Julian Hall wrote:
> Anton Channing wrote:
>> I've had my eee for a few days now and have begun to explore all of its
>> features and so have decided to write a short review of my findings.
>>
>> Power -
>> It turns on incredibly fast.  And it powers down even faster.  Great for
>> on the move.  Especially since my PC at work running XP takes at least
>> 5 minutes to boot.  The eee takes more like 10 seconds at the most.
>> It comes with one battery pack.  I haven't yet checked the price and
>> availability of spares, but the fact its a detachable battery and not
>> inbuilt looks promising.
> Great review... thanks :)
>
> Battery:
> £47 inc VAT (pre-order so doesn't look like they have stock yet).  Great
> price for a battery :)
>
> This is the 5500mA battery - I don't know what ships as standard.

Thanks for that.  The battery that comes with it is
5200mA, so not much different.  Still every little
can count so a 5500mA may be a worthwhile investment
at some point, and even carrying a spare battery or
two with this thing is lighter than carrying a full
size laptop.

I probably won't buy one till the new year now
though... :)

> Doesn't look like they do a separate charger (yet) so you'd have to
> charge it in the machine at home.  They do an AC adaptor though so that
> should work well.

> There's a nice leather case to protect it for example which looks useful
> and some other bits and pieces.
>
> What actually comes with it, aside from the laptop itself?

Aside from the already mentioned battery, it comes with
an AC adaptor, a protective sleeve made from some kind
of black fabric that feels a bit like some kind of thick
lycra, and two user guides.  A 'quick' one thats about
14 pages, and a more extensive one that covers how to
use all the software and hardware features, and an
additional chapter on installing XP should you want to
(cough), although that chapter might come in handy should
you ever want to install another linux distro.  Also
it comes with a 'support dvd' which I think is for win
xp.

> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Anton