Re: [LUG] Acer linux machines...

Kevin Tunison wrote:
> I have an acer laptop aspire 5000 and the wireless is windows only.
> They don't have the best record for open drivers, so try not to let
> the price woo you too much.  Myabe this has changed in the past 6 months?
Surely the wireless depends on the chipset used not the machine make, or
do Acer use a proprietary chip?

Hrrmm... I just checked this.  Acer's own comparison chart [1] shows
early models have an Intel a/b/g chipset which I would have thought
ndiswrapper should work if there's a Windows driver.  There is a blip
where the 5220 -> 5520 range use their own Acer InviLink chip but the
rest above and below use Intel.  If yours is in this range it explains
the problem you have.

Would you be able to give us an idea of which models Darren?  Anything
above 5520 may well be OK.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/spec/Aspire.pdf