Re: [LUG] Gnome, GTK, firefox file associations

On 06/12/2007, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Simon Williams wrote:
> > Ralph Smithen wrote:
> >> Edit -> Preferences
> >>
> >> Go to Content tab, and in the File Type frame click Manage...
> >>
> >> You can then select the file type in the listbox and click Change
> >> Action...
> >
> > I've been there- where is "add action", because I don't have anything
> > listed at all. All I can do is search within nothing and close the
> > window, which isn't really that helpful.
>
> Add action exists when you actually need to perform an action. i.e. go
> to a webpage that offers the filetype that you want to add, right click
> the URL and "open with" to add the action.
>

> >> It's fairly self-explanatory.  I don't know if one can change both
> >> Nautilus and Firefox's file associations in one place.
>
> No, because iceweasel is not a Gnome application.
>
> --
>

> Neil Williams

have a look here

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Integrate_Firefox_with_KDE

Also it looks like the manage associations dialog only delas which
plugins - not default types

Firefox obviously looks up mime types in a system file (according to
this file /etc/mailcap) and probably caches in ~