Re: [LUG] Credit scoring (was Re: Identity theft (continuing topic))

On 28/11/2007, Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> a) Experian et al are not credit giving companies
>
> b) Without Experian et al, the credit providers would simply pass on
>    the costs rather than absorbing the loss.
>
> so who is your beef really with?  In your text above none of it is
> attributable to credit scoring services, it's just a general rant so
> I'm not clear how you can "agree with Tom" when the thread is
> actually about credit scoring.

I have a beef with two sets of business here :
* The credit rating and aggregation companies
  - They charge unfair rates to check and correct information held about you.
  - They fail to clean their data properly - rather than resolve
incorrect data they add a bunch of digital post it notes and don't
bother to mention them unless asked.
  - They have very little checking and QA in place on the data they
collect - when the US  researched organised identity fraud they found
that criminals gamed the credit rating system by feeding it false data
that was never verified.
* The Creditors
 - They aren't bound to provide good data under any penalty so they
don't care what data they provide to the agencies, and have no
incentive to correct it, ever.

I think there needs to be more regulation, credit rating agencies
should cover the cost of arbitration and put in place proper methods
for fixing mistakes rather than the 'note on our records' nonsense.

Don't get me started on idiotic companies that use senseless blanket
credit rating schemes - one mobile telephone company refused me a
contract despite having a mortgage, multiple credit cards (mostly
unused) and pretty large salary - apparently they didn't reckon I
could cover a 30 quid all-inclusive bill out of a couple of grand take
home each month.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk