Re: [LUG] was :The missing tax discs now : migrating to Linux

Welcome.

For linux distros I've found Ubuntu pretty pain free. I'm sure everyone here
will have their own favourite.

If you want to migrate slowly, rather than jumping in with both feet, you
could start using lots of open source software that also runs under windows.
Open Office does a good job of providing the Office type applications. I
stopped using IE long before I stopped using Windows - firefox is much
better. Gimp is great for graphics. Not sure about an email client.
Thunderbird perhaps? There are lots of Open Source tools that are really OS
agnostic. I never really got on with Cygwin - which allows you to have a *nix
environment on Windows, but many swear by it.

If you are doing any sort of software development, there are obviously a host
of cross platform tools. I try and avoid using tools that tie you to a
specific platform. I've steered clear of VB, C# and .net, much to the
detriment of my career.

It all depends on what you do with your computer really. I migrated by buying
a new laptop and installing Linux on it (Gentoo) so that I was forced to use
it exclusively when I was travelling. No dual boot. It was a bit of a
struggle at first. Things are much better these days.

After a while the only thing I missed was my UltraEdit editor. You'll
like 'vi'. It will remind you of a teletype.

I suppose I miss Visual Studio too, if I'm doing lots of C++. It is their best
product.

I can't use Windows machines any more unless they are supplemented by tons of
Open Source tools. I find using a vanilla Windows machine a bit like trying
to fillet fish with a claw hammer. The poverty of the default tools is mind
numbing.

Back to your question. A starter book? Don't know. But google is your friend.
Have a play. If you get into difficulty, look it up, then ask here.

Above  all, have fun