Re: [LUG] The missing tax discs

On Nov 23, 2007 12:47 PM, James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
>
> > As a nontechie, am I missing something?
> >
> > If the details were in a database then all it would require is for
> > someone to delete 3 fields: ie 2 minutes of tech time plus computer
> > time to remove the fields from 25m records
> >
> > £5000 seems a bit extreme
>
> I imagine they'd have to write some sort of proposal, submit it to EDS
> for a quote, get the quote approved by all the necessary people, get
> the work done and pay EDS, get EDS to do the job properly this time,
> pay them again and then extract and send the data.  £5k seems quite
> cheap, really.

I work for a certain civil service department that has been quite busy
this week...

Every so often we get a new release of our software. There is
invariably a delay while it is installed, then a few days more while
it is corrected. During one of these intervals I took a call from
somebody in the IT business.

I told him how long until we could access his account. He said that if
he had told a client the system would be down for so long he would
have been laughed out of the building. What I should have told him was
that when our contract was negotiated we didn't have that luxury.

--
Martinus Scriblerus scripsit ex 50º 21' N, 4º41' W