Re: [LUG] BBC IPlayer - A U-Turn ?

Tom Potts wrote:

> I watch a video on a copy of windows XP and probably Vista

On Vista it is likely to depend on the DRM in use. Vista does its best
to prevent this if you use certain DRM systems.

But I think this pushes at the crux of the issue, the DRM technologies
are by nature proprietary and thus limited to a selection of platforms.

Secondly by choosing to use DRM the BBC have spent their time and effort
negotiating on the basis of DRM. As Becky says, they now have to support
every DRM system (not scalable, and still exclude an unknown proportion
of their licence fee payers*), or go back and renegotiate with the
rights holders an agreement without DRM, if they want to use an open
protocol.

It isn't a technical issue in that sense although the ramifications of
the decision are technical. I think that is where backstage interview
falls down, too many techies, saying "well we have the content without
DRM, we don't see your problem".

As they say the BBC apply DRM at the last stage possible, because it is
inconvenient for themselves to handle DRM encoded content. But they have
arranged with rights holders that the inconvenient content will be all
that the end users get.

As such unless you are prepared to run a system the BBC is prepared to
support, you are going to get an inferior experience. And there is no
change of position on this as far as I can see.

So yes you might get a streaming service, it sounded like they were
going to use proprietary streaming protocols, if you happen to have a
relevant plugin for that service.

The irony is that most of the content is already out there. And it is
being extracted (in some cases from inherently ineffective DRM systems)
and injected into other networks, so they are effectively encouraging
folks who don't use the "preferred platforms" to go out and use exactly
the kinds of services the rights holders are worried about.

Expect no change soon.

 Simon

* Those using new technologies, which DRM introduces an innate
disincentive to develop and use, since the DRM technologies won't be
available on them. Why do you think Microsoft are so keen on DRM, they
see it as a barrier to entry into the market for competing products.