Re: [LUG] BBC IPlayer - A U-Turn ?

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:08:06 +0000
Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am I right in thinking that you can't have an open source program to
> read DRM without disclosing how to circumvent it? Does this mean that we
> are only going to get binaries?

Only software licenced under GPL-3 has any DRM connotations. GPL-2 has no protection
from DRM.

"It's always possible to use GPLed code to write software that implements DRM.
However, if someone does that with code protected by GPLv3, section 3 says that the
system will not count as an effective technological "protection" measure. This means
that if you break the DRM, you'll be free to distribute your own software that does
that, and you won't be threatened by the DMCA or similar laws.

As usual, the GNU GPL does not restrict what people do in software; it just stops
them from restricting others."
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

--

Neil Williams