Re: [LUG] BBC IPlayer - A U-Turn ?

On Thursday 15 November 2007 18:22, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:08:06 +0000
>
> Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Am I right in thinking that you can't have an open source program to
> > read DRM without disclosing how to circumvent it? Does this mean that we
> > are only going to get binaries?
*
There is no way of preventing you getting past it - even if you don't release
the code.
Putting it simply:
I watch a video on a copy of windows XP and probably Vista running on a
virtual machine - I can capture the video and the sound through the virtual
machine. End of DRM.
The only way to stop the sound and video being captured on way or another is
to stop me watching and listening to it!
Its a pointless waste of time and effort.

You can actually provide DRM stuff using open source code without disclosing
how to circumvent it 'at the source code' level. Think GPG keys etc. But like
'closed source' DRM its just not worth the effort.

Tom te tom te tom