Re: [LUG] OT: Computer Science at Exeter Uni

Greg Dash wrote:
> I haven't posted on the list for a while, I thought this would be the
> best place to find any current or former students from Exeter uni. If
> anyone who is currently doing computer science or did do it recently
> let me know how they found the course there it would be really helpful
> as I'm thinking about applying there for '08

> P.S: As a shot in the dark, anyone do computer science at Birmingham,
> Edinburgh, Bath or Bristol?

I'm in my second year of CS at Bristol Uni. Personally I think Bristol
are the best for CS. I guess it depends what grades you are likely to
get. Bristol, Bath and Southampton (the uni's I looked at) are in the
top 5 for CS in every listing I've seen. They all want AAB grades,
whereas Exeter only wants BBC or something IIRC, which might give you
some idea of the relative value of the degree when you finish (though I
haven't looked at Exeter so can't really comment).

That said, I thought Bath were pretty rubbish actually. The uni campus
itself is in dire need of modernisation. There isn't a single Linux
workstation in the whole place (Linux is a requirement for any
meaningful CS degree IMHO), and the degree is labelled MComp as opposed
to MEng or MSc, which means that the only body who will accredit it is
the BCS, who are well known to not be of much use for CS degrees (they
are poisoned by other IT qualifications). They split from the Maths
department not all that long ago, so it seems that the approach will be
from a Maths perspective rather than Engineering- which might not be a
bad thing, but I didn't like the sound of it.

The CS department here only has Linux machines (admittedly with CentOS,
but you can't have everything), which is very very useful. Unlike most
Universities they start with C and work up, and everything can be done
with command line programs, rather than force the use of visual studio
or some other IDE, which is definitely better. Those IDEs that are
available are decent (i.e. open source, cross platform) ones.