[LUG] Rsync compression vs link speed

I'm in the process of reorganising my backup system, and was wondering
if anyone had any thoughts on how effective rsync's -z (compression)
option is on fast links (100Mbps ethernet).

There must come a point when compressing the data takes longer than it
would to just send it over the link as is- the question is what ratio of
processor speed to link speed would this happen at?

Minimum processor speed is 1Ghz for the machines concerned.

Thanks
Simon