Re: [LUG] F.A.S.T.

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 17:36:52 +0000
Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Anyone heard of FAST, the Federation Against Software Theft? I have
> > known about it for years. It appears that there are some new laws now
> > giving it more powers of search etc., and the penalties can be pretty
> > awful.
> >
> > Seems to me to be a great reason for businesses to use Linux instead of
> > Windows. Or am I missing something here?
> >
> > Neil Winchurst
> >

> FAST have been around at least the last ten years that I know of.  They
> sometimes get involved if any irregularities are uncovered in their line
> with IT Audits.  I believe they also inform the police as and when
> necessary.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian
Longer than that I think. The reason for my email is that FAST are now
saying that they are planning a purge on businesses using unlicensed
programs. And they plan to prosecute if they find anything wrong. So
they appear to be talking about companies who have too many copies of a
program in use. In the past they have come to arrangements about it,
but now they are going to prosecute. (Or pass the information on to
those who have the power to prosecute).

Neil