Re: [LUG] F.A.S.T.

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Anyone heard of FAST, the Federation Against Software Theft? I have
> known about it for years. It appears that there are some new laws now
> giving it more powers of search etc., and the penalties can be pretty
> awful.

FAST have no powers of that sort. The new laws referred to in their
recent publicity are powers granted to Trading Standards officers in the
execution of their duties.

These powers (and more funding) came in on the 6th April this year, but
the TSI said it intended to use the new powers to prosecute folks making
fake DVDs for sale, and such like, rather than following up against end
users.

FAST has already been heavily criticised for using legal threats to sell
their own corporate services, so probably best not to give them any more
publicity.