Re: [LUG] F.A.S.T.

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 17:36:52 +0000
> Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone heard of FAST, the Federation Against Software Theft? I have
>>> known about it for years. It appears that there are some new laws now
>>> giving it more powers of search etc., and the penalties can be pretty
>>> awful.
>>>
>>> Seems to me to be a great reason for businesses to use Linux instead of
>>> Windows. Or am I missing something here?
>>>
>>> Neil Winchurst
>>>

>> FAST have been around at least the last ten years that I know of.  They
>> sometimes get involved if any irregularities are uncovered in their line
>> with IT Audits.  I believe they also inform the police as and when
>> necessary.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Julian
>>
> Longer than that I think. The reason for my email is that FAST are now
> saying that they are planning a purge on businesses using unlicensed
> programs. And they plan to prosecute if they find anything wrong. So
> they appear to be talking about companies who have too many copies of a
> program in use. In the past they have come to arrangements about it,
> but now they are going to prosecute. (Or pass the information on to
> those who have the power to prosecute).
>
> Neil

This is more proof we need a lug meet to promote this activity,  and try
and encourage more people to use alternatives,   expecting people to
jump into using Linux may be too much,  but perhaps getting people on to
openoffice,  and others  and perhaps that talk on using exchange
provides the incentive they need.

what is then needed is access to a pool of people who have the related
skills and who would be willing to help either as freelance or employed
person within that company,  so the excuse of "can't get the skilled
staff" is removed.

incedently what happened about the alternative to exchange meeting ? it
all went quiet

I can set up a venue in Paignton because I live here,  there was talk a
while back in totnes which included ideas on doing install / awareness
days,  etc, this is still possible,  but the contacts / talks etc all
need to be arranged.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events
11th November. Penzance Computers meet
Lostwithel meeting part 2, - watch this space.
details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.
visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug