Re: [LUG] Flat Screens

Julian Hall wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> Well I know for about £120 you could get a decent Hanns-G 19" Widescreen
>> monitor with both VGA and DVI connections from eBuyer.com, so for up to
>> £250 you should be able to get something about 22 inches in Widescreen.
>>
> Hanns-G just won PC Pro's yearly ward for best monitor/TFT so I'd agree
> with that.

They are pretty impressive for the money.  My dad bought one for his PC,
as we'd not heard of Hanns-G before buying one we didn't know what to
expect but we were quite pleasantly surprised.  I'd go as far as saying
it's better than the HP monitor my mate has on his new Vista (and now
Ubuntu/Vista) PC.

>>   I have an Acer TFT screen and they quality is really good,
> Ditto.  I have a 19" 4:3 model and the picture quality is superb.

I went for an Acer because my other half had the 15" model.  I wish it
had DVI though and dual inputs so I didn't have to use an external
switch box, still it is a good monitor.

>> I'd also recommend that if you can, use a DVI connection if your PC
>> supports it as you'll get a better quality picture.  Most if not all
>> recent graphics cards (both AGP and PCI-Express) have at least one DVI
>> connector.
>>
> *thinks*  Why didn't I just say 'What he said'? :)  All good advice.

:-)

I've been asked about monitors (and have done quotes for new PCs for
people at work).  Personally I wouldn't buy a Dell TFT, I've seen quite
a few at work fail with black spots on the screen where the liquid
crystal just seems to waste away.

Rob