Re: [LUG] Flat Screens

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 11:03 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:

> Well I know for about £120 you could get a decent Hanns-G 19" Widescreen
> monitor with both VGA and DVI connections from eBuyer.com, so for up to
> £250 you should be able to get something about 22 inches in Widescreen.

I would second the Hanns-G. Can't remember how much mine cost but I
would guess around £120-£150 from the Computer shop in Plymouth. Had it
about a year or more with no problems at all. It's a 19", DVI (model
HU196D). Worked with no installation problems with Fedora 7.

I don't actually think the question is which flat-screen works with
Linux, but which graphics card you have that works with Linux and the
monitor you have (or want), and at a resolution/performance that you
want. The monitor is pretty much hardware, and simply being told what to
do by the graphics card, not Linux. I suspect my monitor would work with
any old vga graphics card that works on Linux. However, I would then of
course lose all the benefits of the monitor. I have an ATI Radeon 9600,
because it supports DVI, and I wanted the 3-D hardware acceleration too.
(The card cost about £80 I think; again it was bought a good year or so
ago.)

John.