Re: [LUG] Clustering

On Wed, October 31, 2007 22:58, James Fidell wrote:
> Recently I have mostly been working on building a clustered NFS service.
>
> I have three servers installed with CentOS5 and RedHat's clustering
> suite, talking to an iSCSI disk array with a few terabytes of disk
> in.  Today I finally got everything set up and configured correctly
> (the documentation sucks rocks through a straw) and mounted a GFS
> partition from the cluster on a fourth box.  For added thrills, all
> the hardware is in a rack in telehouse and everything, including the
> initial OS installation had to be done remotely.  To put the boot in,
> the servers had disks attached to a 3ware controller that isn't
> supported in the stock CentOS/RHEL5 installation.
>
> NFS is such that it can only actually run on one node of the cluster
> at a time (though each node can run NFS servers exporting the same,
> or different, partitions to different sets of clients and fail over
> to the other nodes).  I found which node was running NFS for my client,
> connected to the power controller and switched it off.  A few seconds
> passed and my client's filesystem came back and could continue to be
> used, no bother.  Rather neat.
>
> I then powered up the node I'd killed, rejoined the cluster and with
> a single command moved the NFS service back to it.  The client didn't
> even notice the change.
>
> The eventual plan is to run some services on CentOS5 boxes running
> CS/GFS and use NFS to support services on other machines running
> CentOS4.x or FreeBSD[456].x.  Having become exceptionally sweary at
> the software earlier today, it now looks like that may well be
> possible.
>
> I still have a lot to learn about the system, it seems incredibly
> complex, fairly volatile between releases and the documentation is
> misleading in places, but overall it really is quite impressive and
> for tonight at least, I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
>
> James
>
> --

congrats at getting it all working mate.. perhaps you can provide us with
an overview of how you did it (mini-howto type thing) at some point..

Disclaimer:

By sending an email to me addresses you are agreeing that:

1. I am "the intended recipient";

2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and make
such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it lends itself
to; in particular, I may quote it on usenet or publish it online;

3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company;

4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that may
be included on your message.