Re: [LUG] Moving to new ISP

Rob Beard wrote:
> As Neil Williams mentions, it might be a good idea to have a backup
> dialup connection, even if it's a pay as you go dialup account, although
> most of the migration stories I've heard have been positive.  I can only
> think that changing ISPs could go wrong if you're dealing with a poor
> ISP, moving from cable to ADSL or ADSL to cable or if your existing
> provider or new provider have their own equipment in the exchange.
>
> Rob
When I worked for Virgin [1] all broadband customers had two connections
configured our end.  The main broadband connection and the same uid/pwd
on the dialup servers for two reasons;

1.  Fairly obvious.  We could email them prior to setup to confirm any
details or explain any delays.  Occasionally to say 'Yes it is working
on X number... oh you wanted it on Y?  You gave us X.. that will mean a
delay I'm sorry..' Anyway, it'll all come out in the wash :)
2.  If it went belly-up post-activation they could all use their dialup
details to contact us.

It seems a very common sense arrangement to me and if other ISPs don't
do it I'd be inclined to ask why.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] 3 years ago.. if it broke recently (i.e. after Feb 2004) t'weren't
me guv!