Re: [LUG] Moving to new ISP

Viv wrote:
> My recent changeover between Zen and Newnet was exactly like you said,
> Neil - I put in a new user name / password and was immediately online
> again. I was very impressed and as I had had expected problems.
>
> Apart from if you have a static IP, what else can cause issues ?
>
> Also, excuse my ignorance, but, what are the benefits of having a static
> IP ? I could have had one with Newnet but, would have had to pay a
> little extra for it ?
>
> thanks
>
> Viv

Not sure on all the benefits of a static IP address but one of them is
that your connection to the internet always has the same IP addresses
regardless.  With a dynamic IP address it can change from time to time
so if you want to connect into your home network (say to your home web
mail server) then you'd have to use something like Dynamic DNS
(www.dyndns.org) and a client which updates the address whenever it changes.

I found when I moved ISP's from AOL to Enta it was really straight
forward.  They gave me a date of transfer so on the day I updated my
login details and password and left the router on.  When I returned from
work BT had made the change at the exchange and I was on a much better
and faster connection.

As Neil Williams mentions, it might be a good idea to have a backup
dialup connection, even if it's a pay as you go dialup account, although
most of the migration stories I've heard have been positive.  I can only
think that changing ISPs could go wrong if you're dealing with a poor
ISP, moving from cable to ADSL or ADSL to cable or if your existing
provider or new provider have their own equipment in the exchange.

Rob