[LUG] OT Patents

OT but its always a good topic here :-)

What do/can you do if some one patents something that you have been
making for a long time before the patent was granted? In this case the
patent was granted a few years a go now but the claims describe
something that we have done, and ourselves and others have published
scientific papers (IEEE and others) so there is no shortage of prior
art.

In this case its a patent of a hardware system and truth be told, the
individual components of the system are trivial and obvious to anyone
in the field.

It appears in the patent search report, that only EPO and World
patents were searched before granting? how the hell can this be right
what about scientific papers etc. This implys if its not in the patent
database its patatantable? (or at least the examiners will grant it).

So what does this boil down to? if they are bigger than us and can
afford better lawyers than us we get stomped all over?

Arrrgggg

Robin