Re: [LUG] MP warns against Microsoft monopoly in e-gov services

Dave Berkeley wrote:
> Article in the reg criticising the use of Microsoft only software, that
> excludes users for gov sites and services.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/11/e-government_services_microsoft/
>
> "In response, Treasury minister Angela Eagle said the government had made
> increasing use of open source software, which is now playing a key role in
> the delivery of some high profile IT projects.
>
> "Some open source projects cannot meet our needs for quality or security, and
> we are not prepared to compromise on those," she added.
>
> Perhaps she could tell us what aspects of "quality and security" are best met
> by Microsoft that can't be met by Linux? And why would this prevent them from
> developing a website that works with Firefox (for example).
>
> Dave Berkeley

I agree as if there are issues it means the OSS community can do
something to address them or if they are already addressed let the MP
know that OSS is capable of that level of security and quality.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events
25th October 2007 - Meeting Paignton
20th October 2007 - Lug clustering meeting. Is this still on !!!!
18th October 2007 - Ubuntu 7.10 release date
28th October - Penzance Computers meet
11th November. Penzance Computers meet

details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug