Re: [LUG] MP warns against Microsoft monopoly in e-gov services

On 11/10/2007, Dave Berkeley <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Some open source projects cannot meet our needs for quality or security, and
> we are not prepared to compromise on those," she added.
>
> Perhaps she could tell us what aspects of "quality and security" are best met
> by Microsoft that can't be met by Linux? And why would this prevent them from
> developing a website that works with Firefox (for example).

That last bit is a huge give away that she doesn't know what she's
talking about, although pretty much everything she said is incorrect -
most government departments don't use any open source software, many
more public bodies have signed agreements with MS in return for a
monopoly, I'd like to hear which open source projects have been
evaluated against proprietary ones and found to be lacking in quality
or security.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk