Re: [LUG] File Server

Richard Brown wrote:

> The role of the server will be to mount as a hard drive to windows
> boxes probably through WebDav. I have never done this before and
> obviously don't want to mess up! So the questions are:
> 1. Would someone be willing to do this for me? If so what would be the
> cost. And how much would you charge for an ongoing service charge
> please?

Webdav is a bit of a curiosity, and what I've seen doesn't impress me.

Too many little tweaks needed to make it all work smoothly, even then
the functionality is limited and the presentation of it as a "web file
system" tempts folk to use it like a proper file system (which it isn't).

What are they hoping to get out of a file server like this, as we were
looking at a little Perl tool that does a simple remote file store
service if all you want is just control of a small number of files in a
distributed team. That tool could be run in most purchased web hosts
that provide Perl on Linux/Unix. Although how that compared to managed
services like Google apps costwise I haven't looked closely.