Re: [LUG] File Server

> I have been asked by a church in Plymouth to set them up a file
> server. I have contacted Fasthosts with a view to seeing whether it is
> possible. For the princely sum of £50 a month and a one off charge of
> £50 they are happy to do so. I will however, need to configure the
> server myself.
>
> The role of the server will be to mount as a hard drive to windows
> boxes probably through WebDav. I have never done this before and
> obviously don't want to mess up! So the questions are:
> 1. Would someone be willing to do this for me? If so what would be the
> cost. And how much would you charge for an ongoing service charge
> please?
> 2. Could I learn to do this please?
> 3. Would it be possible to configure the server to act as a file and
> web server and would there be complications with security if I did?
> This could be used to offset costs.
> 4. Additionally could we then sell it as backup space please?

Hi Richard,

Surely it would be more cost effective to buy a server (or a PC with a
LAMP Configuration Setup) and have it on-site someplace.

Setting up LAMP is easy, as is setting up a file server.

Get in touch with me off list and we can talk. I am based in Truro
but have several customers in the Plymouth area so travelling to Plymouth
wouldnt be a problem.

I can set the server up for you and show you how it is done and how to
administer it.  No worries there.

Selling it as backup space is probably not a good idea but we can talk
about this off list if you like.

Perhaps call me tomorrow during office hours on the mobile as i am
out and about tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Darren Foster
Your Computer Guy!