Re: [LUG] Sue Microsoft!!

Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> Lets put our money into hiring a decent venue,  and get the word out,
>> print a few nice reports about MS not playing by the rules (e.g debacle
>> on their open xml format, bribes etc),  let people read that,
>>
>> Paul
>>

> That's what we're already doing aren't we? :-)
>
> I think we should look at the avenue of trying to provide some sort of
> computer suite to local community centres (say a couple of LTSP machines
> and a server using old PCs as terminals and possibly getting a grant
> from something like the Gemini FM charitable trust or whatever the
> equivalent for the local area is).  That way it's good publicity for the
> LUG and everyone involved.  Would also be great if we could find some
> way of getting sponsored broadband for the community centres.  I had a
> look into what BT were doing and it seems they gave a grant of a PC
> (running Windows) and a years BT Broadband.  Problem with that is the
> scheme is closed for registrations now I think, not to mention having to
> put up with a Windows PC (I think it's part of the T&C's that you can't
> do much with the PC).
>
> I even thought about looking into either setting up some sort of
> organisation to resell Enta ADSL connections, a bit like what UKFSN do
> but instead making it so that the profits pay for community centre
> connections (so the more people that sign up for what has to be said is
> a much better broadband service than the likes of AOL and Wanadoo etc,
> can choose which of their local community centres benefits.  Once a
> certain amount of people had taken on a connection, the profits would
> pay for a broadband connection for their local area community centre, or
> go towards wherever they choose it to).
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Rob

I agree and this would be a much better way to spend our money than
trying to sue microsoft..  the above idea will need to be discussed so I
understnad it a bit better but yeah,  sounds good.

:)

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events

20th September (thurs) 2007 - Lug meet,  Half Moon Pub, torquay road, Paignton,  @
7:30
20th October 2007 - Lug clustering meeting.
18th October 2007 - Ubuntu 7.10 release date
28th October - Penzance Computers meet
11th November. Penzance Computers meet

details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.

visit us on IRC - irc.phractured.net / 6667 #dclug