Re: [LUG] Sue Microsoft!!

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Lets put our money into hiring a decent venue,  and get the word out,
> print a few nice reports about MS not playing by the rules (e.g debacle
> on their open xml format, bribes etc),  let people read that,
>
> Paul

That's what we're already doing aren't we? :-)

I think we should look at the avenue of trying to provide some sort of
computer suite to local community centres (say a couple of LTSP machines
and a server using old PCs as terminals and possibly getting a grant
from something like the Gemini FM charitable trust or whatever the
equivalent for the local area is).  That way it's good publicity for the
LUG and everyone involved.  Would also be great if we could find some
way of getting sponsored broadband for the community centres.  I had a
look into what BT were doing and it seems they gave a grant of a PC
(running Windows) and a years BT Broadband.  Problem with that is the
scheme is closed for registrations now I think, not to mention having to
put up with a Windows PC (I think it's part of the T&C's that you can't
do much with the PC).

I even thought about looking into either setting up some sort of
organisation to resell Enta ADSL connections, a bit like what UKFSN do
but instead making it so that the profits pay for community centre
connections (so the more people that sign up for what has to be said is
a much better broadband service than the likes of AOL and Wanadoo etc,
can choose which of their local community centres benefits.  Once a
certain amount of people had taken on a connection, the profits would
pay for a broadband connection for their local area community centre, or
go towards wherever they choose it to).

Does this make sense?

Rob