Re: [LUG] Gobolinux (was KDE Install?)

On Tuesday 25 September 2007 13:12, Simon Avery wrote:
> george wrote:
> > A large problem that I have found coming to linux is finding where things
> > are, because the directory structures follow unix which has evolved over
> > the last 40(?) years rather than been planned.  Gobolinux overcomes this
> > to large extent.  I can see the pro's OK but does anyone know of any
> > major con's?
>
> Duplication of libraries required.
> (Sharing libraries is part of what makes linux so efficient and reliable)
Thats potentially an advantage - one of the basic ideas behind .NET is the
avoidance of DLL hell which is repeated to some degree in Linux. I frequently
seem to break some application by loading another, or cant as the libraries
conflict. The joys of being on the cutting edge of stupidity!
 As a single user I can often install everything for a particular application
locally so I don't have missmatched libraries. However that only works easily
on a 'single user' setup so there may be some advantage in the gobolinux
approach.

> Exponential increase in disk size needed.
>
> No central update system.
>
> Incompatibility with other linux versions and software.
>

> Personally I'm very happy leaving it to apt to add and remove software
> so I use debian and debian based distros exclusively. What's easier than
> typing "apt-get install product" and "apt-get remove product" - unless
> maybe using synaptic or the gui apt-based manager of your choice. In
> many cases you don't *need* to know the ins and outs of a filesystem.
Its only ever a problem trying to get Firefox plugins to work!
Then rpm -ql comes in handy!
Tom te tom te tom