Re: [LUG] Gobolinux (was KDE Install?)

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 01:45:33PM +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2007 13:12, Simon Avery wrote:
> > george wrote:
> > > A large problem that I have found coming to linux is finding where things
> > > are, because the directory structures follow unix which has evolved over
> > > the last 40(?) years rather than been planned.  Gobolinux overcomes this
> > > to large extent.  I can see the pro's OK but does anyone know of any
> > > major con's?
> >
> > Duplication of libraries required.
> > (Sharing libraries is part of what makes linux so efficient and reliable)
> Thats potentially an advantage - one of the basic ideas behind .NET is the
> avoidance of DLL hell which is repeated to some degree in Linux. I frequently
> seem to break some application by loading another, or cant as the libraries
> conflict. The joys of being on the cutting edge of stupidity!

I don't think I've ever had this problem with Debian (except when doing
something silly like using experimental packages...). The last time I
attempted to use Fedora (a couple of years back) I gave up because of
precisely this problem, though. I suspect it depends on the distro/package
manager; I certainly don't want to waste space installing dozens of
versions of the same library.

--
Benjamin A'Lee <bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/