Re: [LUG] Root device has become read only?!!

Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 12:36:25AM +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
>> It wasn't long before I discovered that the cause of the problem was
>> that I could not write to the root filesystem.
>> I've checked permissions (and I'm root anyway), mount shows rw option,
>> df shows plenty of free space.
>
> Have you had a look through the logs and the output of "dmesg"?
> Filesystems will often remount themselves read-only in response to
> filesystem corruption and/or disk IO errors.

fsck.ext3 -n /dev/hda1 shows a whole bunch of errors.

Of course the question is- how do I fix the root filesystem when all I
have is ssh access?

And I'm sure that the samba log files having filenames of ever
increasing length isn't helping- for some reason smbd.log and nmbd.log
are not being handled correctly by syslog, and end up with names like
smb.log.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 (these get quite long- I have
to delete them every so often). Any ideas?

Thanks
Simon