Re: [LUG] Root device has become read only?!!

Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 12:36:25AM +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
>> It wasn't long before I discovered that the cause of the problem was
>> that I could not write to the root filesystem.
>> I've checked permissions (and I'm root anyway), mount shows rw option,
>> df shows plenty of free space.
>
> Have you had a look through the logs and the output of "dmesg"?
> Filesystems will often remount themselves read-only in response to
> filesystem corruption and/or disk IO errors.

/var/log/everything.log shows that at 23:44 (the time when I noticed the
problem) syslog-ng gave statistics, but the log is interrupted with a
couple of thousand characters which vim shows as ^@ with reversed
background and foreground colors. Since the log is on the root device
there is no more information until it was rebooted this morning.
Unfortunately it decided that it wouldn't let me ssh into it anymore, so
I was forced to reboot and couldn't get the dmesg output, which is
somewhat annoying.