[LUG] Root device has become read only?!!

HELP!
A few minutes ago my server decided that it was going to stop working
correctly. Some things don't work at all, some things are slow, some
things work OK. Fortunately I can ssh into it.

It wasn't long before I discovered that the cause of the problem was
that I could not write to the root filesystem.
I've checked permissions (and I'm root anyway), mount shows rw option,
df shows plenty of free space.

'mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 / -o rw,remount' gives:
mount: block device /dev/hda1 is write-protected, mounting read-only

'ls -l /dev/hda1' gives:
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 1 Sep 12 00:32 /dev/hda1
which is also fine.

All other filesystems (/home, /backup, and various spare partitions
under /mnt- all on the same disk) are fine. It's just root that's the
problem. The HDD is essentially new.

So what's wrong with it? Why in the world has it decided that I can't
write to it anymore?

HELP!

This is one of those situations where a reboot might help, but I want to
find out what has caused this and how I can fix it without rebooting.

Thanks in advance,
Simon