Re: [LUG] USB speakers

On 9/23/07, Simon Robert <simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Simon Williams wrote:
Simon Robert wrote:
Hi
I have a set of usb speakers. tesco trust brand, that are supposed to
work with laptops. However they do not produce sound! When I plug them
in and reboot the module snd_usb_audio is added to the installed modules
and the sound mixer, kmix, displays a drop down list with "c-media usb
audio" as a selection option, but still no sound!
That's a strange setup. The USB speakers I've seen are just USB powered
and have a standard audio jack for input. USB soundcards are a bad idea
IMHO, and merging them with speakers is just silly.

how are they usb speakers if they run from a standard audio jack plug?

Two plugs- jack for input and USB for power, instead of having a transformer plugged into the mains

these are a set of mini speakers with a usb plug on the end of the wire.

 So what you actually have is a USB soundcard with speakers attached to it. This means that you now have 2 sound cards to deal with, the one in the speakers and the existing one, which is asking for trouble. Also, hard wiring speakers to a soundcard is plain stupid- you can't change the speakers for better ones or if they break, and I bet it doesn't have any other jack connections so if you want line in, mic in or line out you have to use the existing soundcard- meaning that sound comes in on a different card to the one it goes out on. Yuk.

My audio card is a bog standard audio card.

That's totally irrelevant. Your existing sound card isn't being used at all.

It looks like they've been detected and the OS has attempted to load the needed modules, but something is missing. There is no usb option in kmix when they're not plugged in

What you need to do is either convince your apps to use the USB soundcard instead of the onboard one, or copy all audio going to the onboard card to the USB card. I don't know how to do this.