Re: [LUG] iphone opensource unlock program

On Wednesday 12 September 2007 20:41, Simon Williams wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > In the eighties we had the personal organiser and now we have the mobile
> > phone or personal 'cant be arsed to organise anything I'll call somebody
> > up if I need help' disorganiser.
>
> I'm still totally frustrated that I can't find a decent PDA/Phone. All
> phones suck as PDAs and I abhor using a touch screen or a number pad for
> typing. Nokia 9500 would be great if only it was open source, or at the
> very least had a usable compiler so I could write my own software for it.
>
> I am yet to find something that is a PDA and not a phone running Windows
> or Linux that has sufficient battery life to last all day. My Zaurus
> lasts just 2 hours. I can get the old low-res LCD (even in color)
> organisers that would last on one button battery for months, but modern
> ones suck. Why has no-one bridged the gap between the really cheap
> pocket phone book and the modern PDA with touchscreen and windows? I
> guess palm is the nearest thing, but none of those have keyboards.
>
> I think one of the main problems with the current PDA design is that
> they are all controlled with almost exclusively touch screens. My Nokia
> 9500 is much faster and easier to use, primarily because it has enough
> buttons. A touch screen is a luxury extra if you want to draw- it should
> be ignored for every other application.
I had a Psion5 which did everything a PDA should do apart from not fall out of
your pocket and break regularly. Should have got  shoulder holster for
it...Never got to using thumbs on the keyboard but I guess it would have been
pretty quick...
As for mobile phones they are only ever useful in an emergency and should
never actually be switched on as all trivia suddenly raises its priority to
'emergency'  - they make email look usefull!
Tom te tom te tom