Re: [LUG] iphone opensource unlock program

On Wednesday 12 September 2007 15:47, Jaan Jänesmäe wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not a great fan of hacking an such but another corporate moneymaking
> schemes is destroyed!
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/11/iunlock-released-the-first-free-open-sou
>rce-iphone-sim-unlock/
I don't see this as hacking but a bit pointless.
I thought people who bought this sort of thing did it to pose and say 'hey
look I'm so well off I'll pay well over the odds for something that I could
have bought 2 years ago if I was actually IT savvy but I didn't know about it
and its only through my sheep like reaction to advertising and peer pressure
that I now realise I must have one so I can talk to people other than those
I'm with as the last time I was with the people I'm spending a fortune
talking on the phone to I was on the phone to someone else....'.
In the eighties we had the personal organiser and now we have the mobile phone
or personal 'cant be arsed to organise anything I'll call somebody up if I
need help' disorganiser.
Sorry I'm just jealous because it never occurred to me that you could take a
computer and partially disable it to remove many of its capabilities and then
sell it several times over with a small proportion of those capabilities
re-enabled each time.
Tom te tom te tom