Re: [LUG] iphone opensource unlock program

Tom Potts wrote:
> In the eighties we had the personal organiser and now we have the mobile phone
> or personal 'cant be arsed to organise anything I'll call somebody up if I
> need help' disorganiser.

I'm still totally frustrated that I can't find a decent PDA/Phone. All
phones suck as PDAs and I abhor using a touch screen or a number pad for
typing. Nokia 9500 would be great if only it was open source, or at the
very least had a usable compiler so I could write my own software for it.

I am yet to find something that is a PDA and not a phone running Windows
or Linux that has sufficient battery life to last all day. My Zaurus
lasts just 2 hours. I can get the old low-res LCD (even in color)
organisers that would last on one button battery for months, but modern
ones suck. Why has no-one bridged the gap between the really cheap
pocket phone book and the modern PDA with touchscreen and windows? I
guess palm is the nearest thing, but none of those have keyboards.

I think one of the main problems with the current PDA design is that
they are all controlled with almost exclusively touch screens. My Nokia
9500 is much faster and easier to use, primarily because it has enough
buttons. A touch screen is a luxury extra if you want to draw- it should
be ignored for every other application.

Am I correct in assuming that the only open source Linux device is the
Zaurus (and even worse windows mobile devices which can be hacked)?
What happened to the much promised Linux phone from Qtopia? Or the Road
101 (which is EXACTLY what I'm looking for dammit!)?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.